Thursday, November 16, 2006

I think what struck me most about Will Richardson's visit (I know it was over a week ago now) is the explosion of social networking and how public our information and writing is and now can be. I still don't understand MySpace and Facebook but it is certainly popular. So many people I know have albums of pictures of themselves online. My question is why? Why do I care what you and your friends dressed up as for Halloween? Why do I care what people write on their blogs? What has caused this gigantic shift to go public? I want my anonymity back! Well it hasn't really gone anywhere. I don't have any online photo albums or subscribe to MySpace- I don't need to have 347 "friends." Don't get me wrong I like blogging and will definitely use it in my classroom. But I am just amazed at what the internet has become in the last 7ish years since I've been in college. I find that any time I need information about something I'll look it up on wikipedia. I still don't edit much but I find the amount of information established there to be astounding. Technology is taking over the world and (I think) I love it!

1 comment:

Mrs. Brenneck said...

I agree with you here. I'm not sure why people like to put pictures of themselves online. First of all, I'm very unphotogenic, but more importantly, the few people I'd like to share memories with are those I see frequently enough to do so in person or just to email. Weird.