Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Home Schooling

While reading through the Netday survey I came across a response by a home-schooled student. Before I discuss my dislike for homeschooling let me just say that I enjoyed reading this survey about how students use technology. I don't think much has changed, at least in our area, in terms of integrating technology in the classroom. Except for those who are products of our MAT program. I think it would be a good idea for a final project to interview/survey students about their technology use.

Anyway...back to homeschooling. I understand that some kids are homeschooled for medical reasons and teachers may actually come to their house. BUT what I don't understand is why a parent feels they could be a better teacher than someone like me who is (or will be) certified to teach. I know today's schools aren't doing the best job and kids are bored. But I wouldn't be in the MAT program if I did think I could make a difference out there. Isn't that true for most? It just bothers me because it makes me think some people view our career choice as not specialized or that we're not experts in our field. If anyone can educate their children in all subject areas why do we need teachers?

The homeschooled student from the survey did respond with using technology to take online courses, like Spanish, that his/her Mom couldn't teach. That's great, if a student is home and taking online courses from an accredited site or school, I'm ok with that. And of course they're going to because HOW COULD YOUR MOM TEACH EVERYTHING?! I took years of Spanish but would never feel comfortable teaching it. It's like the blind leading the blind. The parent is probably learning the material along with the student.

Does anyone agree? Or am I crazy? ; )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home schoolers do so for reasons that have little to do with the quality of the educational experience in public schools.

Usually, not always of course, parents decide to home school to instill particular values (often religious) in their children and "protect" them from the secular education they would be receiving in a public school.

These parents are not interested in the kind of progressive education you are preparing to offer your students.

This, of course, is a huge generalization but I have read statistics that show that most home schoolers do so for religious reasons. Do you know any home schooled kids?

What was their parents' motive?

Remember, schools are a relatively recent invention in this country. All kids were home-schooled at one time!

This is an interesting site to take a look at: http://www.nhen.org/newhser/?id=228

Dave E. said...

I know four home schooled kids. I live in the same house as them. And the entire motive from the parents is to shelter them from society at large for as long as possible, damaging them socially and educationally for live. But ultra-religious folk get blinded by their faith sometimes and don't realize seemingly obvious things like that.

I'll be quiet before I get myself in trouble, like usual.

Dawn Larson said...

I knew a couple of people (for religious and personal reasons) that were home schooled in elementary and middle school, and then their parents enrolled them in high school to allow them to get "acclamated" to a social environment.

This was outrageous!

The people I knew were immediate outcasts to the cliches that had formed over the past 7 or 8 years, and though this changed slowly, and they were able to make friends, their social skills were definitely awkward and unrefined. It was as if they had spent the last decade of their lives in a secluded little cave...it was difficult to understand their weird behavior and unconformed forms of communication.

Perhaps, it was a good thing to be in contact with them, but I am not sure it was entirely beneficial to them...it was definitely a rude awakening to the workings of the social world.

Maybe the social web would help them to adjust to reality?

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, browsing for new content? What's going on with Cortland Downtown???

KatieL said...

I actually don't know any home schooled kids. Dawn, the kids you described sound like Brendan Fraser's character in Blast from the Past. I've never seen the whole movie but he was socially awkward because he lived in his basement or his parents had a time machine or something. haha...

Can you imagine not going to school every day and seeing your peers, friends, and teachers? I would have gone crazy if I had to stare at my parents and brother all day every day.

But how does a child who was home schooled get through interviews to get a job? That would be an interesting study.