Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My Cup Runneth Over

I'm so excited to have the opportunity to work on the Cortland Downtown Partnership. So many of the things Lloyd mentioned last night are so important to me when I think about what a downtown should be. I grew up in a small bayside village on Long Island and we have two markets. Cortland needs a small grocery store/market. An IGA would be perfect, especially because of all the local farmers.

I feel like this is going to be a great way to make changes to an area that I never thought I'd want to live in but have made it my home for almost seven years now. Who knew that when I came to Cortland (in the Fall '99) as a scared/excited freshman from Long Island I'd end up choosing to live here. My parents met at SUNY Oneonta-- my dad from Patchogue, Long Island and my mom from Endicott. They chose to move and a start a life on the island and I am forever grateful that they did. Alex and I met here at SUNY Cortland and it's because of the wonderful friends and colleauges we've met in Cortland, we have decided to start our life in Central New York. That is of course that we both find jobs. So thank you Karen for bringing this project to class and allowing me to share my love of this area with the community.

2 comments:

Mrs. Brenneck said...

Katie,
I'm hoping that once the project gets started, we can contribute now and then ourselves. I have another idea for a project in mind, which is why I didn't offer to join you and Ray, but I'd be interested in helping/adding now and then. I've been here six years myself and feel like I have a lot to say. Let us know how it goes!
Nat

Anonymous said...

Katie, I'm thrilled that you're going to work with Lloyd. He has a lot of good energy I think.

This is going to be exciting!! KES