Monday, September 11, 2006

Podcast Ponderings

So while Jen Gee and I were in the Mac lab at the library we began talking about our enhanced podcast assignments. She, luckily opened my eyes to a crucial part of the assignment. Until yesterday afternoon I didn't realize our podcast had to do with the mood of the flattened world. I read Prof. Reid's post about the assignment and was present in class last week. But I clearly didn't understand why some were worried about what the mood should be. I get it now-- the mood?! What mood? My mood, the mood of the world itself? But after reading more of the Richardson book, I feel slightly better about it. I will reflect my feelings/mood or what I perceive the mood of society to be about or because of the flattened world.

I have been thinking about the digital pictures I have. Alex and I visited the Boston Science Museum over Spring Break last semester and have many pictures of the Star Wars exhibit. I have pictures of Yoda, Chewbacca, and of several costumes from the movies. But how could this relate to the flattened world. It may not relate at all. But the pictures are incredible.

I also have literally thousands of pictures from last year's production of The Vagina Monologues. There is a definite mood surrounding this show, one of pride and importance in knowing you are a part of a worldwide campaign to help stop violence against women. This show has been an important part of my life since 2002. Because The Vagina Monologues are performed all over the world in many different languages there has to be a way to connect my experiences with it to the flattened world. For some reason at this point, I cannot see the connection. It may be because I'm too close to the project. Maybe there is no connection at all. And what does the show have to do with education and my future classroom? I have often thought about how to adapt the show or perform segments of it with high school girls. I'm just trying to put all my thoughts down before they leave my head. If anyone has any helpful ideas or tips I'd really appreciate it.

P.S.
Reading chapter 2 in Richardson's book I realized I used an article about his class' The Secret Life of Bees weblog for my paper in Mary Kennedy's class last fall. It's really is a small world.

I can't wait for Richardson to come to campus. I'm so thankful for the book we're using. It's easy to understand and I am more than willing to adapt some of his ideas about web tools for classrooms into my own some day.

3 comments:

Jennifer Taft said...

I didnt think about this yesterday when we were talking about it, but I think you could def. use the Vagina Monologue pics in this project. Do they do a production somwhere overseas? Is there a website where you could find pictures of people in other countries doing it? That would show a flattening of the world...a global community producing (somewhat)the same thing for the same purpose.

KatieL said...

There are hundreds of worldwide productions. I might be able to obtain some pictures of other productions. I LOVE the idea of the global community of women and men producing the same thing for the same purpose.

Anonymous said...

Katie, your blog looks terrific! And you've got a good idea for you podcast! KES