Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Ok well the Cortland Downtown Project seems to be at a stand-still. Well for me, at least. I went to both events hosted at the Beard Building but I still don't have anything to write about for our blog/website that's not even up yet. It is coming though! The events were kind of boring. The 40 Below Summit was interesting, except for the press conference at the beginning where Senator Seward gave out grants. I couldn't even hear what anyone was saying. A bunch of local groups, including SUNY Cortland got grants. I didn't really get to talk to anyone I didn't already know. I formally introduced myself to a Coffeemania customer that works at the JM Murray Center. And I talked to Tom from Mando Books but I know him pretty well already. (Sidenote: Jen Gee and I might try to do our video project on Tom's new bar downtown, The Red Jug.) But I just feel like most people knew each other because they were business owners and wouldn't think to talk to me. And Lloyd doesn't want Ray and I to be reporters. Oh one thing that was kind of cool was after the intro from Syracuse's 40 Below president, the group was to take 15 minutes and write down ideas on Post-It notes. We were supposed to write down things we'd want to see changed or happen in Cortland. My idea was to make Main St. a two-way street again. But after that, I don't know what happened b/c I left after that. I had to go to ENG 640.

In terms of themes for this class, the blog/website fulfills the technology portion. I hope that our section of Cortland Downtown's website makes it more exciting, it's kind of a boring page. Maybe Ray and I could set up a Flickr account and take pictures of downtown Cortland. We could possibly even set up some del.icio.us tags. I don't know...I'm just brainstorming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are great ideas for sprucing up the CD website. What kind of help do you need to get the blog up?